Friday, January 8, 2010

Long day doing nothing

Well, it seemed like nothing since all I basically did was drive all day. Not that I minded! I am a good half-hour drive from my ailing dad, so I don't help out much; but, Steph asked me to drive him to an appointment in the neighboring state yesterday. I am, as we all know, partially unemployed and therefore doing nothing else really, so I was happy to oblige. The appointment was at 2:00 p.m. and she and I wanted to take a look at the Barracuda and see if the tarp would work, so we met at Dad's at 10 a.m.

After taking the dog out for a bit, cleaning most of the snow off the car, taking a few shots, and getting the tarp on, we set out for our little adventure.
I don't drive off-Cape much...well, pretty much never. When Hubby and I go on trips, he drives. I am crap with directions and grateful to have Steph telling me where to go. Dad tried to help, but can barely see, so minus the comment of 'Oh, there's the coffee shop' to let us know we were at least in the right place, we weren't really counting on him. The hardest part of the trip was once we actually got to the Medical Center and drove around the building twice trying to find a) the proper building and entrance, and b) an open parking space in a lot NOT labeled 'Employee Parking Only'.
The trip, according to Google Maps, was going to be about an hour and a half. We stopped at IHOP for food (I could eat breakfast at every meal!) before we left for Rhode Island.
It wasn't a bad trip...kinda fun considering we were driving our wheelchair-bound, legally blind father to a Veterans Medical Center to make sure he could still get assistance. I had my Dean Martin, Patsy Cline, and Frank Sinatra cds with me, so we were able to have some music for the drive, too.
After a quick stop for some Ice Melt for his ramp at home which had become a sheet of ice, we dropped him off, and then I was back on the road for one more 30 minute drive home.
Hubby made dinner, though, so I just relaxed for the rest of the evening. After all the sitting and driving, my neck and shoulder were not feeling great, so I took 4 ibuprofen and fell asleep around 9:30 again.
On the job front, we were doing a little light shopping at the grocery store I applied to several weeks ago (where Hubby was working for awhile) and the manager happened to be stocking shelves and asked how our new year was going so far. I said, 'well, I'm still looking for a job, if anything opens up.' To which he replied, 'we are actually going to be calling a few people beginning next week, so you should hear from us.' GREAT!
In the meantime, I am also putting a plan B into motion, just in case. It is very hard to get a job at Trader Joe's here. Everybody wants to work for them, but it's a very small store, so it's terribly competitive, I think. A friend of ours has been working there for years. Another friend has been applying for about 3 years and JUST started working there about a month ago!
Anyway, Plan B may not work out, but I've got to cover my bases.
There's an Edible Arrangements in a town near my about 30 minutes away. They are having an open house today to hire 'kitchen/production help'. I have had some experience working in a flower shop, and MANY years working in kitchens, so I think it would be a fun job, too. But, the pay would have to make the drive worth we shall see. The super frustrating part of it all is that we are getting more snow today! It should end by midday, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment