Saturday, February 26, 2011

strange connections

So, more than one of the blogs I follow posted about the post office or their letter carrier or the postal service in general in the past couple of days. That, in itself, is not really a crazy thing. The bizarre-o thing that happened to me, concerning the postal service, has to do with a mailman. I had worked in a restaurant many (MANY) years ago with a guy who left when he 'finally' got a job at a local post office. I have not seen him since his last day at the restaurant...about 12 or so years ago. I wasn't even married the last time I saw him!! Anyway, it was another one of those days I was not getting out on time at Trader Joe's, but when I finally did, I was on my way to drop my drawer at the office when the Postman was on his way out...IT WAS MY FRIEND!! I stopped in my tracks and exclaimed, 'DAVE!' At first he wasn't sure, then it clicked how he knew me, 'Bad Axe, right?' (his wife was also from Michigan, and well, everyone always remembers AT LEAST the oddly named town I grew up in). Obviously, it wasn't a long reunion, both of us working and all. It was just so random. We exchanged a couple pleasantries, I gave him a big hug, and we went our separate ways. I'm sure it will be another 12 years before we see each other again, but I feel like all the extra postal connections have pulled him back into my little world for a short visit. Fun day.

And so this morning I managed to ALMOST complete another piece of mail art. Why does it seem to take me so much longer than everyone else?? Mail pours in...but not much leaves my house these days...I am apologizing to you, my mail art friends. Bear with me, I promise I'm not giving up!! :)

And after a day of wind and rain, I woke up to snow! Enough that only bits of the lawn are poking through...enough that everything has iced over. But the sun is shining, I have the day off with Hubby (who is finally up and getting ready at 9:30...I've been up since 6, I love sleeping in!), and I'm in the mood to do art and practice my clarinet and I even feel like I may dust off the guitar for a bit of 'how's this thing work?' And between it all...sadly, I have to force feed my cat with a syringe. I had forgotten that cats can make themselves anorexic. If they stop eating, they sometimes will not get back into the habit of it, and you have to make them eat...to 'remind them' that they need to eat. Weird little creatures, those!

Happy Saturday to all! Sorry about the double post...though I'm not promising to not post again today. I just never know what to do with myself when I have the whole day!

No comments:

Post a Comment