Thursday, February 24, 2011

Public Service Announcement

As I posted earlier this week, a co-worker had a seizure Sunday morning at work. I didn't know what to do except alert the other co-workers standing near-by. Luckily, one of them had recently looked up what to do in case of a seizure, deciding it would be a good idea to know what to do, should it happen while she's there! It paid off, too.
I had an epileptic cousin, but the only memory I have of her is from when I was very young...10 or so. And it is a memory of her having a grand mal seizure.
The problem, these days, with trying to help someone, is that most of what we were taught years ago, is not the right way to do things anymore. This is one of those cases...everything I knew about seizure procedure is wrong. The right way is pretty much the opposite of what I knew.
This is a helpful link for seizures. You should never put anything in their mouths (they used to say have them bite down on a pencil or tongue depressor to keep from biting their tongue...not good!) or try to hold their arms down (I have heard the force of a seizure can actually pull their shoulders out of their sockets if you hold their arms down!). You should just keep them from anything that could hurt them...keep them safe.
It's also good to know that, once they are recovering, they may have saliva in their mouth, and should be rolled to one side so they don't choke.

A conversation I had with a friend the other day, about how these things have changed, led to the CPR procedures, as well. I don't really remember the exact way it was taught in school, but I know that when I took a CPR class a few years ago, it was different. It is intimidating to think that you would ever need to preform it on someone, but it is better, I think, to know that you could help, if no one else could. Here's a link for basic instructions...though, as it says, nothing compares to an actual class.

And, lastly,
DON'T FORGET...
Erika is trying to make it to Hong Kong to take the world by storm with her awesome oil paintings!! Go take a look at her video...it's fun! And, if you can, why not help her out?

1 comment:

  1. When I worked at the bank.. someone had a seizure and we were supposed to ignore it and let the management deal with it because of Hippa. :) I thought it was the wrong thing to do because I wanted to help.

    :) Thank so much for all the help :)

    ReplyDelete