Friday, November 4, 2011

Art and reality(tv)

Hello. My name is Jen and I'm addicted to reality tv.
It's a sickness, I know, but once I start watching a show, I NEED to see how it ends. This becomes more of a problem when some of these lives go into several seasons!
Last year they put out a new reality show, Work of Art: the Next Great Artist. Hubby is an artist. My whole family is full of artsy people, and I aspire to be like them (artistically speaking). So we gave it a shot. We weren't that impressed at first, but got caught up in it and were actually happy with the guy who ended up winning. This year, we're not sure how much we like it. We have tivoed 4 episodes and have just finally watched the first one. I already know who I like to win: Michelle. All the artist have to do a 'self portrait' to hang (and then they have to take it down when they get booted off the show), and this girl made a giant head out of paper. And then, to add fuel to my fiery love for her, she uses paper in her first challenge and makes a skeleton torso...so cool. SPOILER ALERT....http://www.bravotv.com/work-of-art/season-2/episode-1-kitsch-me-if-you-can
she won with that! I love paper...I love seeing it being used by others!
Anyway, it is amazing how much inspiration/motivation you can get by watching others doing what you want to do. I had already been starting to find a few minutes here and there to get to the studio, but this made me want more. Thursday I got a few HOURS. Today, I got out of work very early and went straight to the studio to work. I started a journal, since one of my goals is to perfect my binding techniques, because I really love journals and love making my own.
I am having fun with quilling, too.
A friend of mine in California works on a charity around Thanksgiving time. There's a fun run (run to feed the hungry) she does, and I guess they do some stuff through the restaurant where her hubby works http://www.luccarestaurant.com/ . And she has asked me if I'd like to donate something for their auction. So I have a few ideas for that. It is nice to have some goals again, and I LOVE giving stuff for charities.
Now I have a couple social engagements this weekend (yes, the WHOLE WEEKEND is booked for me!), and then a crazy schedule for work next week. I've mixed emotions about it. I have to work my 11 hour day at the vet tuesday, sleep a couple hours, then off to work my grocery store job from midnight to 8 wednesday morning. BUT...it, in essence gives me TWO days off. One day to rest...one day to craft!
I really need to carve out some time to see what else is going on out there in the arts/crafts world too! How in the world do you find time to do it all!? I am always amazed by the people who can juggle and make sense of all the elements. Kudos to you!
(boring post without pics...sorry...gotta make dinner! my goodness the day does get away from me quickly!)

No comments:

Post a Comment