Monday, July 19, 2010

I think it's the heat...

I'm just going to go ahead and blame the heat for my sudden departure from reality. What was I thinking...'I'll just sew a couple dresses.' Like it's no big deal!
I know, I know...'it's no big deal.' While that may be true for some, even MANY, here's how my experience has been so far:
Step 1: Jazzed about buying patterns for $1.99 each! This must be kismet! I can't wait to start.
Step 2: Pick the easiest of the 3 patterns so as not to get discouraged by a difficult pattern straight-away. Already I begin to feel the heart race...how do I have any idea which is going to be the easiest?? I have sew exactly one dress in my entire lifetime. As I recall, towards the end of that project, I got lazy with the button holes and skipped any finishing touches like hemming and any 'hidden stitches' inside the bodice. I'm still not sure which dress I will make first. I bought the patterns Saturday.
Step 3: Find those old sheets I was going to use as experimental fabrics. I can't justify buying any new fabric for something I am beginning to dread even doing, so old sheets should do the trick. I found a nice navy flat sheet with a light blue trim that I think will work nicely as the bottom hem of a dress...we'll start there.
Step 4: Find enough time in one block where I can sit in peace and concentrate on the task at hand. This is proving to be even more difficult than picking the right first pattern! I think the problem with this is that I just wanted to 'make a quick dress' but am not ready to face the fact that the first one (and probably the following 10 or so) will neither be easy nor quick. A few hours, even one whole day, will likely not be enough for me.
Step 5: Forget all other steps and just do it! For $1.99, who cares if i mess up the pattern, right!? I am using old forgotten sheets...if I cut it up and have to throw it away, well, then that's what happens, I guess.
So that's it...tonight, I cut up patterns.
Tomorrow, well, tomorrow is harder to find time as I have an early night...so, probably no work on Tuesday night.
Wednesday afternoon, cut that sheet to bits and start sewing it back together! Maybe by the end of the week I will have something to show for my stress...or possibly I will have a pile of useless paper and fabric?

1 comment:

  1. If I can do it, you most certainly can! And, keep in mind that if you have any questions, we're a phone call away. I know that Donna and Steph have saved me numerous times when I thought I was going to lose my mind, throw everything down, burst into tears and throw a tantrum. :P
    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete