Sunday, April 3, 2011
I tried sewing again
...and, this time, I thought it would be a snap! I got an 'easy to sew' Simplicity pattern. A drawstring (elastic waist) A-line skirt. How hard could it be? Harder than you'd think, if you're not a seamstress (which I am not)! Here's why sewing is so hard for me...I'm lazy. This pattern should've been a quick project. Instead, because I am not the kind of person who likes to pay close attention to details (they slow me down), everything gets harder than it should be. First, I decided NOT to put the pockets on...I wanted a quick project and pockets were just too many unnecessary steps. Plus, this skirt was already going to be a head scratcher when I got to the hemming step. Normally, I've been using the hem of the sheet as the hem of the skirt, but this was an old fitted sheet! Rats! But, no pockets cut me down to only having FOUR pieces to cut! Cool! Here's a funny story...after sewing the 3 skirt panels together, I read on to see how to attach the waistband. 'WHAT!?' (the most used word when I am sewing...or rather, trying to understand sewing lingo) So, what did I do? I just sewed the top of the skirt over and put the elastic in...and didn't even use the waistband piece! I'm sure I could've figured it out eventually, but sewing for me has been the same story EVERY TIME... slowly make my way through the instructions, sewing pieces, and inevitably pulling stitches out to re-sew b/c I somehow did it wrong. There's always one point where I have to pull out the lower bobbin b/c the thread has gotten tangled up somehow. And there's usually some other little mishap that really has me scratching my head...or throwing in the towel until I can compose myself and try again another day. Today's mishap? A broken needle! I believe what happened was, I sewed over a pin, which the needle hit, and it broke! I figured that was the end of my sewing career, b/c I know it would be a LONG time before I bought a new needle. But... miracle of miracles, my machine had a 3-pack of needles, and I managed to figure out how to change it! (It was probably the easiest part of the whole ordeal.) In the end, I did get a skirt made in just a couple of hours... It is not exactly as the pattern lays out, but it's a pretty darn comfy skirt. AND, this one (as I made it) I could make over and over again!! So, I'm happy with it. I think it looks cute with just a little tank top! I'm still going to keep trying this sewing thing though. I really want to see if I can make the halter dress to wear to the Pink Martini concert in July. I'm also excited to report that, since Hubby got ME July concert tickets for my birthday, I would treat HIM to July concert tickets for HIS birthday (even though it's not until September). So, the week before the Pink Martini concert, we will be going to see Elvis Costello (also at the melody tent). I don't really know a lot of his music, but I have gone years without getting Jason a birthday gift, so this year I splurged. He really wanted to go, and all of his friends are going, so it will be fun. Especially since two of our friends share a house within walking distance of the tent, and are having a pre-show BBQ! In the meantime, I still have had a hard time finding time for music practice, but have been keeping busy with other things, so am feeling at least a little productive lately!