Sunday, February 14, 2010

Home Improvement: Day 2

Though I'm sure Hubby would rather I hadn't, I started painting this morning. It was almost 9 a.m. so I thought that was late enough. To be honest, I didn't remember painting being such a loud task. He's still in bed, anyway, so it couldn't have been that loud, right? I just get so excited to have something to do, and even more so when it elevates our tolerance for this house.
Don't get me wrong, this house isn't the crap-shack I oft claim it to be. It's just hard to deal with the inflated housing prices in this area. When I look back at our options when we were buying, it makes my head spin. We looked at houses that had missing windows/doors; houses with holes in walls from renters or other domestic issues; and houses with living rooms the size of standard bathrooms. And these were still around $220,000!! We had no choice but to pay more for a house that wasn't exactly falling apart. So we got this beauty...with just minor issues. Cosmetic mostly, but in every room. And that is why I'm still chipping away at projects. I was also fortunate in meeting tradesmen in my coffee shop job and have gotten some deals on electricians and such.
Oh, the painting...
Here's the wall after the spackle, sanding (still not super smooth, but much better), and a layer of primer.

And after the first layer of paint.

Here's a close up of the comparison of the paint against the white. It's not really as 'institution green' as it looks in the picture. The lighting in the basement isn't great.
Don't forget, this was the starting point!

1 comment: